Many young graduates want to do air hostess/flight attendant jobs. Air hostess salary is very lucrative. So, they want to know how to become a flight attendant/air hostess. You can join an air hostess course to take air hostess training. Nowadays, this is a high profile profession in India. Air hostess profession is a dream of young girls.
This job is not limited to handsome salary and traveling but you meet people of different cultures, visit different destinations, have a chance to meet celebrities, politicians, business tycoons and learn new-new things.
Air hostess job may seem easy but it has many responsibilities at the airplane, actually not a simple job. Air hostess need to greet every passenger, coordinate with security, take care of passengers, guide passengers about seating and safety and much more. All passengers are not the same if someone creates trouble then air hostess should remain patient and calm, and politely handle that passenger.
How to Become a Flight Attendant/an Air Hostess?
Most of the people think the career of an air hostess is for girls only, but men can also join it as “Stewards”. Air hostess can be promoted to a senior flight attendant and then head attendant. Their average career span on the flight is eight to ten years, later they can do ground duties as a check hostess, ground hostess, management trainee, manager, and air hostess trainer.
If you want to make a career as an air hostess, flight attendant, cabin crew, steward, or stewardess then your personality matters a lot. Education is important but not as your personality.
Air Hostess Qualifications/Eligibility
Eligibility or qualifications for flight attendant/air hostess in India:
|Education||Graduate Degree or 10+2|
|Height||Minimum 157.5cm, BMI Required|
|Eyesight||Normal Vision, 6/6 or 6/24, Both Eyes|
|Language||Proficient in English, Other Languages if Required|
|Medical Fitness||Medically fit, No Mental Illness Record|
|Marital Status||Unmarried or Married (Depends on the Airline)|
|Complexion||Fair to a Clear Complexion|
1. Education for Air Hostess Course
Candidates who have passed 10+2 can apply for air hostess jobs. This one is a recherché course to pursue after HSC. To do Post Graduate Air Hostess courses then minimum educational qualification is graduate.
You can do air hosted course after 10th but I recommend you to join this course after passing 10+2. Air hostess course after 12th is a far better option.
You must be proficient to read, write and speak- Hindi, English and foreign languages.
2. Age and Marital Status
Air hostess academy decide the age limit that depends upon their policy. Generally, academies prefer candidates of age groups- 17 to 26 years.
Similarly, marital status depends on the academy’s policy. Mostly, unmarried girls are preferred, but some institutes are taking admission of married women also.
3. Physical Standards
Air hosted jobs are very particular about behavior and physical look. The minimum height of the girl should be 5.2″ or 157 cm. Body mass index is calculated thus weight should be proportional to height. Skin color must be fair to clear complexion. Physical fit and attractive physique are preferred.
4. Medical and Fitness
Candidates must be physically fit. They must not be mental patients. Eyesight must be 6/9. Some airlines allow concession.
Above is the qualification of an air hostess. If you want to pursue air hostess course then must fulfill the above qualifications.
Behavioral Skills Required
If you fulfill educational, physical or medical qualifications then must have certain behavioral skills to do air hostess job.
Pleasing Personality: Good look and pleasant voice are required. You must have friendly behavior with passengers. Friendly and social personality can be an air hostess.
Excellent Communication Skills: Command over language and communication skill is all required. You should know how to handle passenger on board and convince them if they are asking something.
Presence of Mind: In case of an emergency landing, an air hostess must be able to instruct to inexperience and panic passengers on board. His/her willpower should be strong.
Team Work: An air hostess/steward should be a team player. A cabin crew comprises over 12-14 members, and need to work in tandem.
Ready to Work for Hours: Flight delays due to bad weather or technical reasons are common, so your working hours may extend up to extra 3 to 4 hours.
Positive Attitude: Lastly, an air hostess/steward must keep a positive attitude and ready to do all assigned jobs.
Air Hostess Recruitment Process
Airline companies recruit candidates through a written exam followed by a group discussion and an interview.
Written Exam: the Written test is based on aptitude and reasoning. The question paper has multiple choice objective questions. Thus, to crack the written exam you need good preparation.
Group Discussion (GD): Next stage is group discussion, in which your presence of mind, communication skills, teamwork, leadership quality, attitude etc are tested. Therefore, you must know how to prepare for group discussion, which needs lots of practice.
Interview: Your overall personality is judged in the interview. After selection, you get the training for the next six month.
Air Hostess Courses
Those who are passionate to pursue flight attendant/air hostess/steward career have some choices based on educational qualification.
Three types of air hostess courses are available.
– Certificate Course
– Diploma Course
– Degree Course
Hereunder are details of air hostess course.
1. Certificate Course
The certificate course is offered to 10+2 passed candidates. Commonly the air hostess training period is 6 to 12 month, but a few fast track course are of 3 months only.
List of certificate courses-
- Air Hostess Management
- Air Hostess Training
- Airlines Hospitality
- Aviation Customer Service
- Aviation Management and Hospitality
- Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant
- Night Rating
- Aviation Management
- Air Hostess/Flight Purser
- Aviation and Hospitality Services
- Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
- Hospitality Travel and Customer Service
- International Airlines and Travel Management
- Air Ticketing and Tourism
- Airport Ground Management
- Air RT/Radio Flight Officer
- International Air Cargo
- Certificate Course in Fare Ticketing Virgin Atlantic/GTMC Courses
- Certificate Courses in Personality Development
- Certificate in Aviation Security and Safety
- Private Pilot Training
- Commercial Pilot Training
2. Diploma Course
HSC (10+2) passed candidate can pursue a diploma course. But you can join a Post Graduate Diploma after completing graduation. These are of 1-year length same as certificate air hostess training period.
List of diploma/PG diploma course-
- Diploma in Air Hostess Training
- Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant Training
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Airport Management & Customer Care
- Diploma in Airlines Management
- Diploma in Professional Cabin Crew Services
- Diploma in Airlines and Travel Management
- Diploma in Hospitality, Travel, and Customer Service
- Diploma in Air Cargo Practices and Documentation
- Diploma in Professional Ground Staff Services
- Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Training with On-job Training
- Diploma in Ground Handling and Cargo Management
3. Degree Course
After completing your 10+2, you can join a 3-year air hostess degree course.
List of degree courses-
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management
- Bachelor of Science (Air Hostess Training)
- Bachelor of Science (Aviation)
- Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management
- BBA (Aviation)
To get better career prospects, you need to a 3-year degree course.
4. Master or Post Graduate Courses
- MBA (Aviation)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Services
- PG Diploma in Airport Ground Services
- PG Diploma In Aviation, Hospitality, Travel & Customer Service
Air Hostess Training Institute/Academy
If you want to make a career as an air hostess/steward then you can take admission here:
- Air Hostess Academy, Pune, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Delhi, and Mumbai
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess, New Delhi, and Mumbai
- Rai University, Ahmedabad.
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics, Jaipur
- Universal Aviation Academy, Chennai
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun
- Universal Airhostess Academy, Chennai
- Jet Airways Training Academy, Mumbai
- PTC Aviation Academy, Chennai, and Bangalore
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Aeronautics, Jaipur, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, and Ghaziabad
- Institute For Personality, Etiquette, & Grooming (IPEG India)
Above are the best training institute across India.
Air Hostess Training Fees
Air hostess course fee depends upon the training institute. You can ask fee details directly to an air hostess academy.
Air Hostess Recruitment Companies
After completing air hostess training in India, you can be hired by any of the following airlines.
1. Air India
2. Alliance Air
3. Go Air
4. Gulf Air
5. Indian Airlines
7. Jet Airways
9. Singapore Airlines
10. Air Sahara/Sahara Airlines
11. British Airways
12. Qantas Airlines
13. Delta Airlines
14. United Air
15. Cathay Pacific
17. Mahindra & Mahindra
Air Hostess Salary
Air hostess salary is different from every airline company. Generally, the salary of an air hostess may vary from Rs 20,000 to Rs 80,000 per month. Domestic airlines pay up to Rs 40,000/month and international airlines pay up to Rs 80,000/month depending upon your work experience. Whereas luxurious international airlines pay 1-2 lakh per month to senior air hostesses.
There are more perks like- discounts on flight tickets, medical insurance, and retirement benefits.
Air Hostess Job for Male
As I told you earlier, males can also join the aircrew. The same article applies to men similarly as applies to women.
If someone has a question about how to become an air hostess. flight attendant or steward, share this article with him or her.