Retailing starts with attracting people to visit your store. The first thing that attracts the people is the exterior of the store. A store front that is beautifully decorated is one way of free advertising and it makes people wait and look at the amazing display that you have created. The retail window displays play a very important role as it allows the viewers to come inside the store and check out the products. What if the exterior of the store is gloomy? Would you like to visit the store and check out their products? Certainly not! This is known to be one way of turning passers-by into customers.
Window dressing is another word for retail window displays. There are different elements that are considered to make certain that the window dressing a success. These include graphic designs, placing the products etc. One just cannot go about retail window dressing, but needs to learn about it. It involves a lot of things to be kept in mind. If the store has to display economical or should expensive products to be featured, prices to be displayed or not, should you change the display every week or alternate day, should you follow a specific theme and such other aspects.
It is very important for you to keep the window dressing neat and clean. You would certainly not want the viewers to have a bad image about your brand or confuse them with unrelated products not arranged properly. The more simple the retail window displays are, better it is for the viewers. Confusion is one of the things that do not let the people enter the store. There are different types of displays that should be known to the visual merchandisers and below mentioned are a few:
- Closed windows are those that have large glass panels in the front and walls behind.
- Open back windows are the ones that have large glass panels in the front and no wall behind so that the store is seen.
- A semi-closed window has large glass panels in the front and is half covered behind so that some part of the store is visible.
- Open window display has no glass panel or wall behind.
- Corner window displays allow the people to view the products from two sides and as the name suggests, it is located at the corner of the store.
- Elevated windows might be an open or closed. Basically, they are located above ground level.
- Shadow boxes are small windows in a box shape that are usually used by jewelry and cosmetic stores to display their products.
The main idea of the windows is displaying their products in the most effective manner.
Follow these tips if you are putting together a window display at your store.
1. Take Measurements
Taking precise measurements of the window for display is very important. In case of any obstruction such as the beam, lights etc, make a note during measurements. This will help you design the display in a better manner.
2. Check what the Competitors have done
Checking out the window displays of your competitors is very important for you. This is important because as a viewer you need to note what you like as well as dislike.
3. Display Plan
After your research, you would now have an idea of what you want in your retail window displays. Create a plan according to the research and implement it.
Use adequate lights so the window looks attractive in the night. If your store ambience is dark during the day, you may want to use yellow lights to make a golden glow near the windows.
Apparels require mannequins. Pebbles, jute, Buddha statute can be used to decorate a window that displays aesthetic items. Liquor stores can have stoles stuffed about quarter length into hanging bottles. Just let your imagination flow!