Lost your computer password and can’t log into Windows? It’s a good practice to change your Windows password from time to time to protect your privacy. But that can sometimes lead to the situation where you couldn’t remember the new password on the next login. In this tutorial, we’ll show you 3 simple ways to reset forgotten Windows 10, 8, or 7 password.
Method 1: Access Another Admin Account
The first thing I thought is to find out if you can log in to Windows using another admin account. An Administrator Account is one that can make changes to other user accounts on the computer. If there’s another admin account that you can log into, then you can reset your password easily:
1. Press “Win + R” on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box, and enter lusrmgr and hit OK.
2. In the Local Users and Groups window, right-click on your user account and select “Set Password” from the pop-up menu.
3. Enter your new password, and then type it again in the Confirm Password text box. Click the OK button, and you’re done!
Method 2: Using Password Reset Disk
The most common solution available from Microsoft is to use the password reset disk. The password reset disk must be created before you forgot Windows password; otherwise, the tool is useless. Before you start, make sure you have the password reset disk inserted into your computer, then follow these steps to reset your password:
1. When you type a wrong password at the login screen, you will receive the error message “The username or password is incorrect“.
2. Once you clicked OK, you’ll see the “Reset password” link appear under the password box. Click that link to open the Password Reset Wizard.
3. Select the password reset disk from the drop-down box. Click Next to proceed.
4. Enter a new password and then type the password again to confirm. Click Next. The password to your account has now been reset!
Method 3: Using PCUnlocker
So, you’ve forgotten Windows password, and don’t have a password reset disk? Fear not, my friend, PCUnlocker will save the day! You do not have to be a computer expert to be able to reset a forgotten Windows password. PCUnlocker is easier to use than many other password cracking software. It can be run from a bootable CD, USB drive, or network over PXE.
1. Download the PCUnlocker utility (.zip) from this link. Go to your download location and right-click on the .zip file to extract it.
2. Now, you have to burn the resulting ISO image to a CD or USB drive. This can be done using the freeware ISO2Disc.
3. Boot your computer from the CD or USB drive that you’ve created. When the PCUnlocker program starts, you can view the list of all the accounts on your computer.
4. Choose the account you want to reset the password for, and click on Reset Password
5. If you receive the message “Successfully resetting your Windows password“, congratulations. Pull out the CD or USB and restart your computer. Normally now you should be able to log on to your Windows account without a password!
Forgot Windows password and can’t figure out how to get into the system again? Assuming you have one of these solutions around, that might be the quickest way to reset a lost or forgotten Windows password. It is recommended to change your password of account which you can remember easily to avoid this situation again.
1 thought on “3 Way to Reset Forgotten Windows 10 / 8 / 7 Password”
it would be better to prepare something that helps for Windows 8 password recovery. thanks for helpful tips!!!