Remove Stored Data Permanently: A Smartphone has become an integral part of everyone‘s digital life. No matter, if you are a teacher, doctor, engineer, business man, shopkeeper or just a student, you would love to keep one phone in your pocket all the times. Strangely, gone are the days, when a phone was just used for communication purpose because now it has almost everything of everyday use such as contact directory, emails, social media accounts, photos, videos and a lot more. The best thing about this features rich gadget is that it is easy to carry.
In short, this simple device contains your whole life and therefore, if you want to sell or dispose it off, don’t just give it to someone but make sure to remove all the data that has ever been stored in it. The device must be cleaned securely to ensure nobody can misuse your personal information because giving your personal info to someone else means putting your privacy into great danger. Therefore, you must make 100% sure to remove each and every single file from the storage before you finally hand it over to somebody else.
Does Factory Reset Erase All the Data Permanently?
Most of the mobile owners think that simply using “Factory Reset” option will delete all the data from their phones but they are absolutely wrong because it does not happen. When you delete a file from your device, it gets marked as deleted but gets hidden in some other places right within the device storage. Factory reset option usually get your gadget into its default state and surely most of the stored data within the storage gets deleted but there are still some types of information which usually remain stored in internal memory such as emails or multimedia.
How to Remove Stored Data Completely and Permanently?
It is not easy to delete entire stored data but you can still erase most of the things from your phone before selling it. Even if you want to dispose it off, you must erase everything from the storage to prevent others misusing it. Here is one effective method which can greatly help you make your phone secured and ready to sell and that is called Data Encryption.
Device Data Encryption
When you run encryption process in your device, it converts stored information and all other types of data into enigmatic form and this all is done before you initiate factory reset to bring your phone into its default status. The encryption option is usually built in to android phones and you just need to enter a password or secret PIN to access encrypted data. It simply means if you sell your phone and somebody else tries to recover the data, he has to use a special key to initiate decryption process.
Things to Know About Encryption
Most of the latest android versions have encryption option turned on and in such cases mobile owners may not be able to turn it off. In other cases, you should consider these things before you turn encryption on:
- Slower Performance: On completion of encryption process, users need to decrypt the data when need access which might be resulted into slower performance. If you own a quality handset, you don’t have to worry about the performance issues, though.
- One-Way Process: Secondly, it is also important to keep in mind that the encryption is a one way process. Once you turn it on, you can’t turn it off unless you restore factory settings. So think twice before you turn on encryption (in case you need to keep your phone with you.
- Rooted Phone: In case you have a rooted phone that you want to get encrypted, you better do unrooting temporality or else you might have to face various problems. If you are sure you want to encrypt your phone, follow a three step process: Unroot, encrypt and then re-root.
- Battery Charging: Before you start encryption process, make sure to charge phone batteries full because sometimes, the process might take even hours but it depends upon the size of stored data in your phone.
Encrypt Your Storage Device
- Most of the android versions will require you to follow these steps: Go to phone settings > security? Encrypt phone.
- If you are using Samsung galaxy, you need to follow these steps: Settings > Lock screen & security > Protect encrypted data.
- Once data encryption is completed, you can go to factory reset option to remove all the stored data in your device.
Encrypting data before hitting factory reset option will make 100% sure that you have removed entire data from your android phone.