Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks (RAID) is a technique to store the same data on multiple hard disks for improving the performance and data redundancy. It is an advanced technique involving storage virtualization, which sees multiple disk drives as a single logical unit. Today, RAID is being used by many organizations to store their business critical data. However, in spite of their high capacity and fault tolerant feature, there are times when a RAID array fails. There could be multiple reasons for RAID failure including corruption, controller failure, rebuilds failure, and failure related to wear and tear of external hard drive. In the worst case, it could even lead to inaccessibility or critical data loss.
For example, most often the issue arises in RAID 5 array, when 2 hard disks fail. However, the issue is also common in RAID 0, when 1 hard disk fails. There are many companies including HP, Compaq, IBM, Dell, Apple, etc., which uses RAID system. Most of the RAID systems are never turned off, and work 24*7. In case of RAID 5, if 1 hard disk fails, it remains unnoticed as the system keeps on working. However, in case of a second disk failure the system goes offline. As mentioned earlier there could be many reasons for such a failure. In addition, the reason of failure of the 1st disk could be different from the 2nd. Some of the other common reasons for RAID failure are mentioned below.
- Un-mountable RAID array after a crash
- More than one drive failure
- Damage or corrupt partition
- Incorrect RAID configuration
- Corrupt striping
- RAID array having faulty hard disks
- Corrupt or damaged configuration
- Incompatible drives in RAID
- BIOS not detecting the drive
- Conflicts in the system’s hardware
- Corrupt software
- Viruses Infection
- System not able to boot
- RAID corruption
- Lost partitions
- Controller Failure
- Natural Disaster
- Server unable to start
- Boot failure
- Hard disk failure
- Broken raid set
There could be many other reasons beside the above-mentioned for RAID corruption. Such issues can be avoided by following some best practices. However, in case your RAID is already affected, you can still follow some measures to ensure no further damage is done to the already damaged or corrupt RAID. So that, you can have some probability of recovering data from corrupt RAID. Some of the precautionary steps are mentioned below.
Do not follow nay manual or improper steps to repair or rebuild corrupt RAID array. If done improperly, this could cause permanent data loss.
As soon as you notice RAID corruption, shut down the RAID system to have any chance of recovering data from damaged RAID.
While removing damaged disk from the RAID array, be careful and number down the order in which you remove it.
After removing the damaged disk, keep them in a safe place, to avoid any further of any kind.
These all steps are required to ensure any chance of data recovery from such RAID arrays. RAID arrays can be recovered from any cause of damage or corruption. This is because when a data is deleted due to corruption, it is just the entry of the data, which gets deleted from the table. However, the data still remains in the storage device, thus making the data recovery possible. If you try to use the damaged RAID, the data present could be overwritten, thus eliminating any chance of data recovery. The total time needed for data recovery from such RAID arrays depend upon various factors including RAID configuration, file system type, and more. There are various ways that can be used to recover data from damaged RAID array. Sending the RAID array to a data recovery center is a time consuming process and involves a huge cost. In addition, it involves the risk of further damaging the hard disk while in transit. However, the best way is to make use of a professional software.
Stellar Phoenix RAID Recovery is a reliable software to recover data from damaged or corrupt RAID arrays. The software supports recovering data from RAID 0, 5, and 6 arrays in any case of logical failure. With its powerful and advanced techniques, the tool allows easy data recovery irrespective of any RAID factors. The software comes with an easy-to-use interface that can help in quick recovery of data.
Recover Data using Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery – Technician
You can follow the below mentioned steps to recover data from corrupt or damaged RAID, using Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery – Technician software.
1. Launch the software “Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery – technician”.
2. Click “RAID Recovery”.
3. The next screen shows the ‘Stellar Phoenix – RAID Reconstruction’ interface as shown below.
4. Select and arrange RAID hard drives in correct order.
5. Select the RAID factors like strip size, start sector of the array, parity delay, and parity order.
6. Click BUILD RAID button to start constructing RAID.
7. In case, you do not find any RAID construction, click on ‘Create Virtual Drive’.
8. You can search lost volumes and perform RAW recovery.
9. Select the RAID volume to be recovered as shown below.
10. Once you have selected the desired RAID to be recovered, you can choose any of the options: Quick Recovery.
11. Deleted Recovery, Advanced Recovery or Raw Recovery to recover data from any selected RAID volume.
You can try or buy product here.