All Medical colleges in India follow eligibility criteria described by their affiliated university for MBBS admissions in India. In general, the candidates seeking admission to a medical college should have passed Senior Secondary Examination of CBSE or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Admissions to MBBS colleges in India are based on merit or the marks obtained in the competitive examinations conducted at central or state level.
Becoming a doctor is the ambition of millions of students in India. No other profession is as respectful as a Doctor. Still, many students aren’t aware of the complete process of getting MBBS Admissions in India, and how to become a doctor. In the medical profession, you cure people suffering from illness, trauma, disease, and accidents. Some of the medical specializations are in the fields of Surgery, Pediatrics, Gynecology, Ophthalmology, and Cardiology.
Popular MBBS Colleges in India
There are some popular and top ranking medical colleges in India. Most medical colleges in India were established during the 1950s and 1960s, and since 1980s, a number of private colleges have been established throughout the country. The Medical Council of India (MCI) looks after the standard of these medical colleges. At present, there are about 273 Indian medical colleges recognized by MCI, with a total of 31298 students. The most popular MBBS Colleges in India are listed below:-
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences or AIIMS was established in 1956. It is ranked as No.1 and the most popular medical college in India. The college possesses comprehensive facilities of research and conducts the teaching program in 42 different disciplines.
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Christina Medical College and Hospital or CMC is a century-old Christian educational center. It was founded by Ida S. Scudder. It ranks second in India/and is one of the best medical colleges in Vellore.
Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
It is a govt. medical college affiliated to the University of Delhi. The college is named after the great Indian freedom fighter, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The medical education and facilities provided by this college are of top quality.
Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
Armed Forces Medical College or AFMC was established in 1948. This institute is an incorporation of a number of Defence medical organizations. Presently, the institute is affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health and Sciences. It is recognized by MCI for conducting undergraduate and postgraduate medical courses.
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
Kasturba Medical College established in 1953, and it is the 1st college in the private sector. The degrees awarded in this college are accepted throughout the world. Students from approximately 44 countries have successfully got MBBS degree from this college.
Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
Lady Hardinge Medical College is affiliated to the University of Delhi. The college offers admission to MBBS course. Previously, it provided admission only to the female students, but since 1970, both female and male students are being admitted to MBBS courses in this institute.
Grant Medical College, Mumbai
Grant Medical College is a premier educational institution in India. The college ranks amongst the top medical colleges in India. It is a State Government Medical College.
University College of Medical Sciences & GTB Hospital, New Delhi
This medical college was founded in the year 1971. It is affiliated to the University of Delhi/ and offers admission to MBBS course.
King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
This college is a favorite among medical institutions in India. The college got affiliated to the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University in the year 2012.
Admission through MBBS Entrance Exams in India
Medical profession is considered to be one of the most influential careers in India. In order to become a Doctor, one has to go through the most aggressive entrance assessments to get admission to MBBS course in the best medical college or a university. Students who have passed +2 examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from CBSE or a recognized board are eligible to appear in the MBBS Entrance Exam in India.
National Level MBBS Entrance Exams in India
AIIMS Entrance Examination – All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
AIPMT – CBSE – All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Examination (AIPMT).
BHU PMT All India PMT (BHU-PMT) – Admission to UG medical courses of Banaras Hindu University
State Level MBBS Entrance Exams in India
MH CET – Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MH-CET)
COMED UGET – Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka
GUJCET – Gujarat Common Entrance Test
PMET – Punjab Medical Entrance Test
University Level MBBS Entrance Exams in India
DPMT – Delhi University Pre-Medical Test
Institutes conducting their own MBBS Entrance Test
CMC CET – CMC Vellore Common Entrance Test
JIPMER – Jawaharlal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
Direct MBBS Admission in India
Every year thousands of students apply for Direct MBBS Admission in India, but only a few are lucky to get MBBS admission in private medical colleges in India (MCI recognized). List mentioning some of the top private colleges for Direct MBBS Admission in India is mentioned below:-
- Bharti Vidyapeeth, Pune
- Chirayu Medical College, Indore
- Narayan Medical College, Sasaram, Bihar
- DY Patil Medical College, Pune
- DY Patil Medical College Kolhapur
- Career Institute of Medical Science, Lucknow
- Gold Field Institute of Medical Science, Faridabad
- MGM Medical College, Aurangabad
- Subharti Medical College, Meerut
- JSS Medical College, Mysore
- Santosh Medical College, Ghaziabad
- M.Patil Medical College, Bijapur
- DJ medical college, Ghaziabad
- Srinivasa Medical College, Karnataka
- Saraswati Medical College, Ghaziabad
- Siddhartha Medical College, Karnataka
- Teerthankar Mahaveer Medical College, Moradabad
- Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore
- SRMS medical college, Bareilly
- Ramaiah Medical College, Karnataka
- KPC medical college, Kolkata
- Vydehi Medical College, Bangalore
- NIMS medical college, Jaipur
- MRMC Medical College, Karnataka
- Geetanjali Medical College, Jaipur
- KLE medical College, Karnataka Balaji Medical College, Chennai
- Raja Rajeshwari Medical college, Bangalore
- Laxminarayan medical college, Pondicherry
- Meenakshi Medical College, Chennai
- Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore
- SRM medical College, Chennai
- Chettinad Academy of research and education, Chennai
- MGM medical college, Pondicherry
- LN Medical College, Bhopal
- Sri Manakula Vinagar Medical College & hospital, Pondicherry
- Index Medical College, Indore
- Sri Venkateshwara Medical College and Hospital, Pondicherry
- People’s Medical College Bhopal
- Mutthukumaran medical college hospital & research institute, Chennai
- RD Gradi Medical College, Ujjain
If you are looking for MBBS admissions in India, the best way is to go through the above-mentioned information. Most of the medical colleges in India are associated with hospitals, which offer students a wide scope to deal with patients. On completion of the MBBS course, the students need to complete their internship and house job before acquiring the MBBS degree.
Content Contributor –
Dr. Sumeet Khanna works with SuccessCDs.net (www.successcds.net), a leading portal on Entrance Exams, Test preparation and Admissions in India.