Microsoft provided Outlook for both Mac and Windows Operating Systems. Microsoft Outlook 2011 provided for Mac Operating System is a widely accepted mailing client and is similar to Outlook for Windows in a lot of ways. However, there is a difference in the data file formats used for storing user data in both. MS Outlook for Windows provides an archive of the mailbox on the local system in a personal storage table (PST) file format. On the other hand, in Outlook for Mac, Microsoft User Data folder is used to store the data file. These files contains all the data in the user’s mailbox such as email messages, contacts, calendar events, notes, tasks and other items.
The Outlook for Mac (OLM) File:
In order to access the data items of Outlook 2011 for Mac in any other Windows version, the data file first has to be manually archived to Outlook for Mac (OLM) file format and converted into PST file format. The OLM file is used for storing the mailbox data of Outlook for Mac.
Need for OLM File to PST File Conversion:
Now let us suppose, you are willing to upgrade the Outlook Version on your system from Outlook 2011 to a newer version (Say Outlook 2013). In this case you would not be able to open your OLM files in any other versions of MS Outlook. It may also happen that you need to switch the Operating System from Mac to Windows. In such a scenario, you cannot open the OLM file or access its data since Windows Operating System will only support PST file format for Outlook. Hence, the only way to access the data in OLM files in Windows Outlook is by converting the OLM files to PST file formats.
Many users have this idea that Outlook for Mac is a clone to Outlook for Windows. Though many features of Outlook for Windows have been added to Outlook for Mac, but the features set is not exactly the same.
- For instance, as of today, Outlook for Mac does not run the Plug ins that are available for Outlook.
- Secondly, unlike Outlook for Windows, Mac Outlook does not allow you to manage the numbering sequence as per your choice.
- Also, you cannot create font sizes in Outlook for Mac outside the already provided options (4, 6, 7, 7.5)
- Unlike Outlook for Windows, Outlook for Mac does not support the read receipt option to know that the messages have been read.
- Also, it does not support the delete receipt option which is supported on Outlook for Windows.
- While adding new contact to the Address Book in Outlook for Mac, you will not find the ‘new contact from same company’ option.
- Unlike Windows, you can’t change the Outlook layout to ‘classic view’ in Outlook for Mac.
- You can’t drag mails directly to the calendar in Outlook for Mac like you can in Outlook for Windows.
- Unlike Windows Outlook, you can’t have your tasks shown up in calendar in Outlook for Mac.
- Outlook for Mac allows you to import PST files but it does not export the PST files.
Because of the above mentioned flaws of Outlook 2011 for Mac, many users wish to switch from Mac to Windows Outlook. However, in this scenario, how to convert Mac Outlook data OLM file to Windows Outlook data PST file is the most sort after query.
OLM to PST Converter – The Ultimate Solution!
OLM to PST Converter is the ultimate and trustworthy tool that proves to be of great help for users willing to export their mailbox items from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook. It will migrate the mailbox of Outlook 2011 saved in OLM file (emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, and journals) into Windows Outlook supportive PST file format.