The Management Aptitude Test (MAT) is conducted by the Centre of Management Studies (CMS), a special sub-division unit of the All India Management Association (AIMA). The MAT Examination is organized once in every tri-semester. It means that in any given year, AIMA organizes MAT on four different occasions. Over the years, it has been observed that MAT is usually organized on the first Sunday of February, May, September, and December. The Ministry of HRD and Govt. of India has approved the MAT as a national-level test since the year 2003 whose scores are considered by over 600 different B-schools in the country to shortlist the students for their upcoming batches.
What is MAT?
The Management Aptitude Examination tests the students on their reasoning abilities and their ability to deduce logic. Usually, most top B-schools choose this criterion to shortlist potential candidates for their courses and upcoming batches. Students regardless of their Bachelor degree can appear for this exam across the nation for seats in the PGDM Courses provided by the colleges who are affiliated and accept the MAT scores.
The AIMA provides the students with two options for MAT Registration. These are:
- Online Registration
- Offline Registration
To register online, a student should
- Register at the AIMA website.
- Pay the examination fees (Rs 1200/- only) using Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Net Banking.
- Alternatively, the student can also send a demand draft of Rs 1200/- in favor of ‘All India Management Association’ payable at Delhi after successfully registering online.
If a student wants to complete the registration process offline, he/she can
- Obtain the OMR Registration form alongside the MAT bulletin/CD from AIMA, New Delhi by paying a cash payment of Rs 1200/- only.
Eligibility Criteria for MAT
The AIMA Has imposed upon few Eligibility criteria which all students must ensure they fulfill before filling the MAT application form. These include the following points:
- All applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree from any discipline from a Government recognized College/University.
- Applicants appearing in the last year of their Bachelor’s Degree are also eligible to apply for the MAT.
- There is no prescribed age limit for people looking to seek admission in colleges affiliated to MAT.
- The requirement of necessary work experience is not mandatory.
Syllabus for MAT
It is advisable for all the students to be thoroughly familiar with the pattern and the syllabus of all the exams they are going to appear next. It becomes easier to crack any exam if you are familiar with the syllabus of the exam.
The MAT examination consists of 5 different sections and 200 questions. Each individual section consists of 40 questions with every correct answer adding +5 to your score. The different sections are as listed below:
- Language Comprehension
- Mathematical Skill
- Data Sufficiency & Analysis
- Critical Reasoning & General Intelligence
- Indian & Global Environment.
MAT Examination Pattern
As mentioned above, the MAT Exam consists of 5 different sections, each containing 40 questions each. The total time given to each student to complete their paper is 2.5 hours. The students can select the mode of the examination – pen, and paper or online examination, according to their needs.
|S.No||Name of Section||Number of Questions||Suggestion Time|
|1.||Language Comprehension||40 Questions||25-30 Minutes|
|2.||Mathematical Skill||40 Questions||35-40 Minutes|
|3.||Data Sufficiency and Analysis||40 Questions||25-30 Minutes|
|4.||Critical Reasoning and General Intelligence||40 Questions||25-30 Minutes|
|5.||Indian and Global Environment||40 Questions||15-20 Minutes|
|Total||200 Questions||150 Minutes|
MAT Admit Card
The MAT Admit Card is a very useful document which helps you to gain access to your Examination Centre. No student is allowed to enter the examination hall without the presence of an Admit Card and a valid Identity Proof. The Candidates who are successfully registered to give the MAT Examination can download the Admit Card from the MAT Examination website by entering their Full Name, Form number, and Date of birth.
The result of the MAT Examination is usually out within a month of the day MAT examination is over. The applicants can obtain their results from the MAT official website by entering their Name, 6-digit Registration number and the 9-digit Roll Number. The students should keep in mind that their results are valid for 1 year only.