Ever since the introduction of HTTPS, there has been a lot of buzz in the market about people migrating to it. Is it worth to migrate? Will it be safe to use? and etc. These were some of the common questions that we all were looking for answers. But, with time, HTTPS implementation has proved its worth.
It is effortless when we talk about launching a new site with HTTPS, but when it comes to shifting a running site to HTTPS the things are not that simple. Shifting an entire site to HTTPS requires a whole lot of effort and many changes in terms of SEO. To implement the site properly without causing any damage, people often perform certain mistakes that result in the loss of their website traffic.
Do Proper HTTPS Implementation
There are many tools available in the market that aims at easing some of the difficulties of the people, but they are not the perfect solution for all the pre and post-migration problems. So, does that mean we should drop the idea of shifting our website to a better performing HTTPS? Certainly, not.
We are presenting to you some easy and simple tools that you can use for being sure that the migration process from HTTP to HTTPS has been a success and does not cause you any loss of your website traffic. Let us have a detailed analysis of the tool “SEMrush“.
SEMrush – To the Rescue
SEMrush is the most common SEO audit tool that covers and deals with almost all aspects of HTTPS implementation. The tool has recently introduced the HTTPS implementation audit feature recently so that the users can find ease in shifting their website. Though it is a paid tool, if you want to have a secure migration or are planning to launch your website with HTTPS, then you must use this tool.
Once you have prepared yourself for using this tool, do look for the following steps that will help you to use the tool easily. The following steps can be used by the existing users or the users who are signing for the first time.
How To Use the HTTPS Implementation Site Audit Feature
Here the steps that you will need.
1. If you are an existing user log into your SEMrush dashboard or if you are new first need to create an account to use the tool.
2. Post login, check the “Projects” button on the top right-hand side.
3. On the right side of the Projects button, there is a “+” sign. Click on the “+” sign to add a new project”.
4. Now you need to enter your domain name and project name.
4. Save your project by clicking on the “Save” button and then click on the “Set up” button of “Site Audit”.
5. The “Site Audit” option offers you to crawl the pages of your website. You can select the number of pages to crawl depending on the size of your site. Also, we need to select a Crawl source between “Website” or “Sitemaps on the site”. After that, press the “Start Site Audit” button.
6. Once you have done with it, a SEMrush SEO Audit report will be generated, which will show all the possible SEO issues, including HTTPS migration errors that your site may have.
An Example of HTTPS Implementation Errors:
7. You can have a look at all the existing HTTPS implementation errors that your site has by opening the report and clicking on the “View Details” button of the HTTPS section.
You can see below screenshot where 392 links on HTTPS pages lead to the HTTP page. We need to fix them asap.
2 subdomains don’t support HSTS, it is an issue, but you can ignore it.
8. There may be certain pages that may have some issues which you can resolve to have an amazing performance of your site.
Non-secure HTTP pages Alert
For the non-secure HTTP pages that contain <input type = “password”> field, Google Chrome has come up with the idea to inform the users about not disclosing their sensitive information as it can be easily stolen. If you have a number of such “non-secure” pages, then the users will not feel comfortable accessing your page, and it will result in a higher bounce rate.
In my case, there are no “non-secure pages”. I tried my best while doing HTTPS implementation. If you are getting some errors, then you need to fix them also.
SEMrush is an amazing tool that helps webmasters to find severe SEO problems that can not be seen manually.
I will bring more articles related to https migration to help you.
The market is full of different tools that can help you to determine HTTP to HTTPS migration is successful or not. You may need to cross-check your site for HTTPS migration.
Go ahead and use this tool to have a safe and successful migration of your site from HTTP to HTTPS. Feel free to let us know about the problems and issues that you discovered while using this tool.