How to migrate from HTTP to https on blogger blog with custom domains? Or How to install SSL on Blogger? Do you have any questions like this in your mind? It is really good news for all those who use Google Blogger; now you can enable HTTPS on a Blogger blog having a custom domain. Enabling Blogger HTTPS means your blog has an SSL certificate. Blogger SSL helps to establish a secure connection between your blog and users. After you enable HTTPS on your blog, visitors and readers will access your blog on the HTTPS instead of HTTP. Before, this feature was limited to the Blogspot sub-domain only. For custom domain owners getting an SSL certificate for Blogger was a dream. This SSL certificate is powered by Let’s Encrypt.
First, you should learn about the SSL certificate then I will tell you how to get the HTTPS Blogger custom domain.
What is an SSL Certificate?
SSL is a short form of Secure Socket Layer that guarantees your website security. On the internet, when a user sends personal information or does a financial transaction, then it is required to keep this personal data safe and secure. For this, we need an SSL Certificate, which ensures personal data is encrypted between the user device and web server and won’t be accessible to the third person. Learn how it works.
If a website is secured with an SSL certificate, it has an HTTPS connection. When some site makes believe in having an SSL certificate or web browser unable to validate the certificate, it shows warning as shown below.
Why Use An SSL Certificate / HTTPS?
Google has announced a website with HTTPS connection will rank better in SERP. It means your blog will be ahead of competitors. Before you enable Blogger HTTPS, must take off these things-
– You need to submit your blog to Google Search Console again. As your new blog URL is similar to https://www.yourblog.com. Do not forget to remove the existing “Property” of this blog.
– You have to ensure all image URLs are starting with HTTPS. You have to cross-check all the old posts.
– All custom blog gadgets should be checked to have SSL connections. If a third party blog gadget does not have an HTTPS connection, then remove it.
– Blog traffic may down for some days because Google will reindex it. So you must submit your blog and sitemap in Google Search Console. Do not forget to do the same for other webmaster tools like Bing etc.
Steps to Enable HTTPS on A Blogger Blog with Custom Domain
1. Sign in to the Blogger dashboard.
2. Pick a blog to enable HTTPS
3. Go to Settings > Basic > HTTPS
4. Go to HTTPS availability and select YES from Dropdown
It may take a little longer to enable HTTPS. Refresh the web page.
5. Go to HTTPS redirect and select YES from Dropdown
This option ensures all of the visitors will see your blog on HTTPS connection.
Congrats! You have successfully enabled Blogger HTTPS on a blog with a custom domain. Share your experience while implementing SSL for the Blogger custom domain. Do not forget to share your old and new posts with new HTTPS URLs.
This option is not available for all Bloggers. But you can take the help of your friend who can enable HTTPS on his blog. If you will add him/her admin of your blog. Then he/she will be able to enable HTTPS on your blog from his/her dashboard. It may take a few hours to see the option to enable HTTPS for your blog. You should keep him/her admin until the “enable HTTPS” option available on your dashboard.